Sanders back in ‘The Hunt’ at Fayette County Speedway
Two-time USMTS National Champion Rodney Sanders kicked off the month of September on Sunday with a victory at the Fayette County Speedway in West Union, Iowa, during the 7th annual USMTS War in West Union presented by KSE Racing Products.
Sanders, who garnered the 2012 and 2013 United States Modified Touring Series titles, was on a hot streak through the first half of the USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup but had been shut out of the winner’s circle for the last six events prior to Sunday’s weekend closer.
The win was the ninth of the season for the 29-year-old from Happy, Texas, while Dereck Ramirez of Woodward, Okla., recorded a second-place finish for the 11th time during the 2019 campaign.
Sanders started fifth on the grid and had to run down Ramirez, who led early from the outside of the front row. Once out front, Sanders was uncontested except for some late-race troubles with lapped cars that allowed his pursuers to narrow the gap.
Jake O'Neil finished third behind Sanders and Ramirez, Zack VanderBeek was a solid fourth-place finisher and Ryan Gustin rounded out the top five. J.D. Auringer, Hunter Marriott, Blake Arndt, Travis Saurer and Jacob Bleess completed the top 10.
The Creek in the cross-hairs: With his 95th career USMTS triumph, Sanders solidified his spot at the top of the points in both ‘The Hunt’ and Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship as the combatants prepare for the 21st annual Featherlite Fall Jamboree on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Sept. 19-21, at the Deer Creek Speedway.
The high-banked 3/8-mile clay oval located in the rolling hills near Spring Valley, Minn., will be the host when the world’s elite Modified and B-Mod drivers converge to battle for more than $150,000 in prize money.
The champion of the USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup powered by Summit will emerge from Saturday’s finale at the Jamboree while the 2019 USMTS National Champion will be determined at the 2nd Annual Summit Southern Nationals at the Kennedale Speedway Park in Kennedale, Texas, Thursday-Saturday, Oct. 30-Nov. 1.
The USMTS season concludes Nov. 15-16 at the 81 Speedway in Park City, Kan. The annual Chisholm Trail Showdown will be one night only on Friday and pay $3,000 to win. The 4th Annual Grant Junghans Memorial happens on Saturday and will once again pay $10,002 to win and $1,202 to start.
To connect with the United States Modified Touring Series, visit usmts.com. You can also like us on Facebook, visit us on Instagram, follow us on Twitter, connect with us on LinkedIn and watch us on YouTube. Keep up to speed, get it first and subscribe to USMTS e-News.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship
USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup powered by Summit
7th Annual USMTS War in West Union presented by KSE
Fayette County Speedway, West Union, Iowa
Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. All drivers advanced to the Casey’s General Stores “A” Main based on heat race passing points with the top 8 redrawing for the first 8 starting spots.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (3) 0 Jake O'Neil, Tucson, Ariz.
2. (6) 4h Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
3. (4) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
4. (5) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
5. (7) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn.
6. (1) 49jr Jake Timm, Minnesota City, Minn.
7. (2) 51a Blake Arndt (R), Brownsdale, Minn.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
2. (1) 00 J.D. Auringer, Waterloo, Iowa.
3. (5) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (4) 17 Mike Striegel (R), Wheatland, Mo.
5. (3) 15w Alex Williamson (R), Rushford, Minn.
6. (6) 6 Dustin Kruse (R), Brandon, S.D.
7. (7) 91 Shawn Ryan, Waterloo, Iowa.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 99 Josh Angst, Winona, Minn.
2. (5) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
3. (2) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
4. (4) 62 Hunter Marriott (R), Brookfield, Mo.
5. (6) 21 Jacob Bleess, Chatfield, Minn.
6. (3) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan.
7. (7) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Earlham, Iowa.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (5) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustoms/Hatfield, 40, $2500.
2. (2) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/Cornett, 40, $1500.
3. (7) 0 Jake O'Neil, Tucson, Ariz., LG2/Cornett, 40, $1000.
4. (6) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Stoen, 40, $800.
5. (3) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/TriStar, 40, $700.
6. (1) 00 J.D. Auringer, Waterloo, Iowa, Rage/KSE, 40, $400.
7. (12) 62 Hunter Marriott (R), Brookfield, Mo., Rage/KSE, 40, $550.
8. (18) 51a Blake Arndt (R), Brownsdale, Minn., Shaw/KSE, 40, $600.
9. (13) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn., MBCustoms/ChevPerf, 40, $450.
10. (14) 21 Jacob Bleess, Chatfield, Minn., VanderBuilt/KSE, 40, $400.
11. (17) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan., Jet/Speedway, 40, $375.
12. (15) 15w Alex Williamson (R), Rushford, Minn., SSR/KSE, 40, $350.
13. (11) 17 Mike Striegel (R), Wheatland, Mo., GRT/Eagle, 39, $325.
14. (19) 91 Shawn Ryan, Waterloo, Iowa, DirtHustler/King, 39, $300.
15. (16) 6 Dustin Kruse (R), Brandon, S.D., Sidebiter/ChevPerf, 39, $275.
16. (10) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis., MBCustoms/Mullins, 23, $250.
17. (4) 99 Josh Angst, Winona, Minn., MBCustoms/Stoen, 20, $250.
18. (8) 4h Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Cornett, 19, $250.
19. (20) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Earlham, Iowa, Hilsabeck/Mullins, 19, $250.
20. (9) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, 13, $250.
DNS – 49jr Jake Timm, Minnesota City, Minn., MBCustoms/OFI, 0, $90.
(R) = Grant Junghans USMTS Rookie of the Year contender
Lap Leaders: Ramirez 1-17, Sanders 18-40.
Total Laps Led: Sanders 23, Ramirez 17.
Margin of Victory: 0.951 second.
Time of Race: 22 minutes, 48.213 seconds.
Provisional Starters: none.
Eibach Spring Forward Award: O’Neil (advanced 6 positions).
FK Rod Ends Hard Charger: Arndt (started 18th, finished 8th).
Next Race: Thursday-Saturday, Sept. 19-21, Deer Creek Speedway, Spring Valley, Minn.
Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship Points: Sanders 3332, Ramirez 3139, Marriott 2965, Phillips 2804, Gustin 2793, O'Neil 2663, Kates 2191, VanderBeek 2051, Striegel 1878, Saurer 1503.
Casey’s Hunt for the USMTS National Championship Points: Sanders 1450, Ramirez 1434, Phillips 1353, Marriott 1334, Gustin 1106, O'Neil 1093, Kates 1027, Saurer 1013, VanderBeek 720, Striegel 716.
Grant Junghans USMTS Rookie of the Year Points: Marriott 2088, Striegel 1591, Dustin Hodges 584, Carlos Ahumada Jr. 549, Nathan Hagar 415.
USMTS Manufacturers Championship Points: MBCustoms 302, Hughes 300, GRT 236, Rage 226, LG2 221.
USMTS Engine Builder of the Year Points: Cornett 272, Hatfield 269, KSE 207, Durham 196, TriStar 164.
American Racer – Ryan.
Beyea Custom Headers – VanderBeek.
Bryke Racing – Kruse.
BSB Manufacturing – Timm.
Casey’s General Stores – Kates.
Champ Pans – Gustin.
Deatherage Opticians – Williamson.
E3 Spark Plugs – O'Neil.
Edelbrock – Angst.
Eibach – O’Neil.
Fast Shafts – Sanders.
FK Rod Ends – Arndt.
Hooker Harness – Striegel.
Integra Racing Shocks & Springs – Hughes.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts – Angst.
K1 RaceGear by Ryan Bowers Motorsports – Arndt.
Keyser Manufacturing – Bleess.
KSE Racing Products – Saurer.
Maxima Racing Oils – Sanders.
Out-Pace Racing Products – Oertel.
PEM Racing Gears & Drivetrain – O’Neil.
QA1 – Ramirez.
RacerWebsite.com – Kruse.
Simpson Performance Products – O'Neil.
Swift Springs – Sanders, Arndt.
Sybesma Graphics – Auringer.
Tire Demon – Kates.
VP Racing Fuels – Sanders.
Wilwood Disc Brakes – Marriott.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Casey’s General Stores, Chevrolet Performance, CP-Carrillo, Deatherage Opticians, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Intercomp, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, K1 RaceGear by Ryan Bowers Motorsports, KSE Racing Products, Malvern Bank, Mesilla Valley Transportation, MSD, MyRacePass, Nitroquest Media, Pace Performance, PEM Racing Gears & Drivetrain, RacinDirt.com, RacingJunk.com, Snickers, Spike Hardcore Energy, Summit Racing Equipment, VP Racing Fuels, Wrisco Industries.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, Boubin Tire & Automotive, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Duvall Electric, Eagle Moon Farm, Impact RaceGear, PBM Performance Products, RACEceiver, Rancho Milagro Racing, River’s Edge Scrap Management, Tony Moro Powder Coat, Top of the World Ranch, YouDirt.com.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: 905 Ink, AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Beyea Custom Headers, Brown & Miller Racing Solutions, Bryke Racing, BSB Manufacturing, Champ Pans, E3 Spark Plugs, Edelbrock, Forty9 Designs, Genesis Racing Shocks, Hooker Harness, Hyperco, Integra Racing Shocks and Springs, Keyser Manufacturing, Maxima Racing Oils, Out-Pace Racing Products, QA1, RacerWebsite.com, Real Racing Wheels, Simpson Performance Products, Swift Springs, Sybesma Graphics, Tire Demon, Wilwood Racing.